Well, the idea was that we would trade files in LRC format regardless of whether the lyrics were embedded in our MP3s or not. The LRC file was a vehicle, then you'd embed it in the player. Nobody was going to be trading MP3's with lyrics in them just to get a couple kb of information into them.

I hadn't thought of solid state MP3 players with tiny storage capacities... But lyrics only add 2 or 3 kilobytes. I can't see this as being the difference between squeezing more music on your player or not.

What I guess you're saying is that some people will choose to use their MP3 files, some would rather have it separate, and I should give both parties the choice to do whichever. Fair enough of a statement. Not sure why you're so against ID3v2, I think as a specification, it's very good. It's just abused by dopes who put website links and crap into it. The spec itself isn't the problem. Besides, since we all rip our MP3's from music we already own on CD, we have full control of what's tagged onto our music files... right?