Hi,

I run OS X 10.1.5. Last night, while emptying trash, I got this error - "This operation could not be completed because one or more required items could not be found. Error code -35".

I decided to look in ~/.Trash. `ls` returned a bunch of files with lots of '?' in them. For e.g., herbertgr??????eyer - alkohol.txt. But, `vi *`, `ls -al` and `rm -rf *` returned 'no match'! I was stumped. Why did `ls` show me all those files while the other commads returned 'no match'?

I Googled and found a link (stupid me, didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it) that basically said that the solution was to boot into OS 9 and delete the files. How do I do this? I did see System Preferences->Startup Disk, where I could specify the startup disk for next reboot. I'm wary of trying it out because I am not sure if I can reset it back to the OS X disk, in the OS 9 System Preferences (is there one? I've never used OS 9). Or, can I boot into OS 9 from OS X without actually changing the startup disk? How would I then access the Finder equivalent in OS 9?

Any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. It'll also be great if someone could explain why `ls` and `ls -al` are behaving differently.

Thanks!
~Yogi.