What method do you use (USB/Serial/Ethernet)?

I am using USB. The software installed flawlessly, the computer found and recognized the empeg on the very first try, everything set up perfectly.

Doug didn't say what point the sync had got to.

The synch usually fails somewhere in the last half of the loading process (Is that download or upload? I'm talking about the songs going into the empeg.) The first part, where my home computer queries the empeg and pulls the database out and displays my playlists always works. The adding of the new songs to the empeg is where it fails. Usually it gets more than half of them, then everything just stops. If I wait long enough, the empeg gives up on the little circle-whirley-arrows logo (Don't you just love it when I talk technical like that?) and says something like End of Playlist. a quick check of the playlists on the empeg shows that indeed, the song where it locked up, and all subsequent songs, are not there.

Last night I did another synchronize, and same thing happened: locked up most of the way through. Killed emplode, checked that it wouldn't restart, rebooted, and had no difficulty adding the last few songs with a second synch. I have not had any data corruption problems so far.

Computer is pretty much new (major upgrade couple of months ago: new motherboard, new hard drive, new RAM, new video card, new sound card, new CD-ROM, new operating system (Win 98) and the operating system should be pretty clean, as no software has been added and subsequently deleted.

So far I think I am running at exactly a 50% success rate on my emplode synchs -- every odd numbered synch has failed, every even numbered synch has succeeded, counting my first ever synch as #1. Maybe I should try every synch off of a fresh reboot, as every synch that succeeded so far was just after rebooting. There may be something "left over" from AudioCatalyst that is compromising emplode, as I always do a synch immediately after doing the rip & encode with A/C.

As I am determined to take this process of loading up my empeg very slowly, being sure every byte of music I put in is absolutely perfect, my synchs are all very small (I am trying to add one CD per night as a maximum) so these synch failures are only small inconveniences -- nothing I am upset about.

I'll keep fiddling and changing the variables and see if I can narrow it down. At this point I think it is more likely a flaw in my computer than a flaw in emplode or empeg.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"