duct-tape (p.s.: not "duck")

Thank you. So many people say "duck", and it irritates me every time.

Of course, there is now an enterprising company which markets duct tape under the brand name "duck", so I guess it's not technically incorrect any more. It's like saying "scotch tape" when that's a specific brand but you really mean any brand of clear cellophane tape. Or when you say "make me a xerox" when you really couldn't care less which brand of photocopier is used for the process. Or when you order a coke and the waitress says, "is Pepsi OK?"

The last one really boils me. I understand that the waitress has to say it because sometimes you get customers who do really have a preference, but it just irritates me that those customers have to make the ordering process harder for the rest of us.

And the worst part: Sometimes I've tried to get around that problem by ordering a COLA. And the waitresses still ask me if their specific brand is OK. You know, maybe I should start drinking iced tea...

Ah, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Back to the regularly-scheduled programming...

Sorry to hear about the cable coming loose. I'm sure Rob will see the report here. That is so strange, it really shouldn't do that.