Thus.. I now strip off all ID3V2 content just as a matter of course (the binary attachments confuse other players as well, and lots of mp3's have embedded binary images etc..).

....and work around ID3V1 30 char limitation by assigning title, author and source empeg tag from file/dirnames (and once tracks are on empeg, you don't need ID3 tags any more). I forrgot to do that in advance, but it took me perhaps 10 minutes to assign artist and source fields from playlist names. Didn't even bother to write a script, a couple of vi regexes was all what it took. Ah, Windows-only (GUI-only, to be more precise) guys don't know what they are missing with scriptable character interface .

However, it does not mean I don't plan to check out several GUI front ends for emptool that are beginning to show up (one of them is around for quite some time - sorry I don't have author/link now). With Unix modular approach one can have it both ways :)

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue