It sounds to me like you're not so much unsure of how much your position is worth, but the fact that it's so much more than you're making now that you're hesitant to really say.

Well put. Asking for a significant percentage more seems a little odd to me, but then again I started at a fairly low rate to begin with because I was desperate for a job.

Be honest with them. Tell them that you didn't and don't know a lot about such things, especially since you'd been out of work for quite a while beforehand. Tell them that you looked around to find out what comparable positions pay and came to the conclusion that it was x. Say you feel that you think that you're above average at your job, something that would seem to be corroborated by the fact that they want to give you a raise, and that a salary should reflect that, so that would bring it to x + y%. Then say ``at the same time, I recognize that that's z% more than I'm making now, and I can't really expect that kind of raise, but you asked me, and that's what my research shows''.

Exactly. After reading all the suggestions here, it sounds like I need to suggest a higher number than I was originally thinking. I know I have a tendency to sell myself short, as I'm sure a lot of people do. I have to keep that in mind. I'm not usually one that takes compliments too well. Compliments are very rare for me to begin with.

Keep in mind that the fact that they've offered you a raise means that they want to keep you.

Yeah, he made that very clear already by his long speech and praise session before telling me he wanted to give me a raise. I've never felt so good in a meeting before, and certainly never as embarrassed.

This is certainly stressful, but at least I know I can't really go wrong. I mean, I can't lose my job and they aren't going to cut my pay, so this really is a win-win situation.
ricin.us