The main thing that struck me at the end of the movie (having not read the book) is that if you take the intro to the movie seriously, the end can’t be as “happy” as it seemed to make out. Sure we have a victory for personal freedom, but at the expense of now going back to a system where murder was an almost unstoppable crime that was debilitating society. But hey, Tom Cruise is ok, right? That means everything’s going to be all right.

This is fine for Hollywood, which glosses over issues all the time, but good Sci-Fi is deeper than that. My initial thought after seeing the movie was “that was a semi-good time” and my thoughts after reading the short story were “why didn’t they make this movie?”

The short story wasn’t really a “whodunit”, and I’ll admit (along with Bitt apparently) that that aspect of the movie was kind of neat. However, they had to give us something after totally destroying the story and I don’t feel the tradeoff was worth it.