I just received my MK2 this morning while I was at work. I plugged it in to check it out, and it booted for me just fine. Its very nice.

On my way home from the office I stopped by my local computer super store and purchased a CAT-5 crossover ethernet cable for about $15US. I wanted to make sure the cable was good so I went ahead and bought one instead of crimping my own.

I read the manual as much as work would permit, to become familiar with the finer points of my player so that when I got home I would be ready to create my play lists and sync this bad boy.

But when push came to shove, I too have problems with my ethernet connectivity. I am 100% convinced that its nothing more than a configuration problem on my end.. but being somewhat of a techie myself I thought I could figure it out. Instead here I am.

I am running Windows98, I have TCP/IP and my ethernet card installed correctly because my DSL modem functions fine. And don't forget my store bought cable.

I plugged in the crossover cable (I knew I should have bought that $29US Ethernet Hub instead, I hate having to reach around the back of my computer already!) and turned everything on. Once bringing up my copy of Emplode (v1.01) I never saw my player in the list.

I then remembered that my computer does not assign itself a specific IP, it lets the system get one automatically. So I assigned an address.. hey.. I just thought of something.

The address that I gave the empeg player was not even in the same ballpark as my computer. No wonder I didn't see it. I think.. now I don't remember.

As soon as my quick serial port sync is finished (worked like a champ first try) I will make sure I have my IP addresses correctly and try again. No way am I going to transfer all my data through this serial port!

I am very pleased with the product so far, I guess my only complaint to date echos what has already been said - there could have been more explicit instructions on how to do this.. for those of us that are not as smart as we thought we were.

BTW if anyone wants to chime in and lend a hand, feel free.

Carl
080000506 12gb green