The only reason I have not done so already is my older design motherboard does not have a USB port on it.

Ah. Another good reason I didn't think of.

Sure, as was suggested here, you could shell out for a USB port card, but you've already got an ethernet card for your DSL modem, and you just bought the crossover cable, so now it makes sense to try to get ethernet working. Save ya 30 bucks.

Okay, let's look at control panel/network. There should be exactly one entry for TCP/IP, and it should be bound to your ethernet adapter. If there's more than one, stop and let us know what the others are before doing anything else.

If there's just the one, then make the following changes (writing down the current settings before changing them so you can set 'em back when you're done otherwise DSL won't work):

- IP address: 10.1.1.1
- Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Now use the serial cable (assuming it works) to get Emplode (under the "configure player" menu, I think) to change your Empeg to:

- IP address: 10.1.1.2
- Netmask: 255.255.255.0
- If it asks for a Gateway, leave it blank if you can.

Remember that you have to synch once with the serial cable to get the Empeg to take those settings. Check them in the Empeg's "About" screen to make sure they took.

It might be just that simple. It might even work using Emplode's "Broadcast" setting. Give it a shot and let us know.

If it works, you might even be able to get away with configuring more than one doohickey in the network panel- one that works with your DSL account and one that works for your Empeg, and have them both running at the same time. Anyone know if you can pull that off in Win 98?