My backpack is giving up the ghost, so I decided to dig up this old thread and I ended up buying myself a Timbuk2 "classic messenger" bag in all black so it doesn't stand out too much in more formal situations. I was torn between the messenger bag and the "commuter" bag, with laptop padding, but I decided I was more interested in having 1400 sq. ft. of internal space than the 1000 sq. ft. of the commuter bag (or 1200 sq. ft. for the commuter XL).

Now, as it turns out, my main travel bag is also failing on me and needs to be replaced. Does anybody here have advice on airport carry-on bags? I looked around several stores yesterday, and everybody's now including roller wheels and handles, which I'm not convinced I'll ever really want. (Even though I tend not to get too far off-road, I much prefer slinging something over my shoulder.) I suppose I could just get a largish backpack, which might jive well with the messenger bag, although I can imagine nightmarish scenarios with straps going every which way. The main criterion is that whatever I get absolutely must be carry-on luggage. While there appears to be no "standard" on this in the U.S., 22 inches long is sufficiently common that it's the defacto standard for the luggage industry.

Thoughts?