Well I just opened it up and I didn't see anything obviously "blowed-up." I did find that the knob side shock mounts had come free of the metal bracket. After setting the bracket aside and sniffing around I noticed a small screw wedged between where the AC plug goes and the uh... dark cube shaped thing with a four leaf clover shaped thingy on top.

Turns out this screw was one of the eight that hold the drives to the mounting tray. My empeg has always had an odd rattle to it, but I was under the impression this was a normal sound from the laptop drives. It could have been bouncing around in there for years...

So I'm at a loss here... nothing else seems obviously scorched or broken. I tried powering up after replacing the screw and rubber shocks and still nothing happens... If it is one of the fuses on the mainboard it should be fairly obvious, right? there isn't anything under the board I should check is there?

...and it's good to hear this is probably not due to the cold. I feel a little less guilty.