Ouch. Okay, I won't be getting that one, at least with all the upgrades. See, I don't think I need a ton of horsepower (CPU and RAM.) I probably won't be running web servers, playing 3-D games, or rendering Toy Story 3 on this machine. If I need hardcore number crunching, I have powerful Windows and Linux machines to do that stuff. So, without knowing a whole lot about OS X performance, I think the iBook's CPU and RAM specs might be good enough for me. But the low display resolution on the 14" screen is probably not going to make me happy. The worst thing is, I know they're doing it on purpose so the iBook dont kill their Powerbook sales... I hate when companies do that!

I think maybe I'll swing by a local Apple dealer sometime soon and see if I can fall in love with the 14" iBook's screen. If not, I don't know if I'm down with dropping $2000 for a Powerbook when a decent Wintel laptop with a 14-15" screen can be had for less than half that. The OS X thing is more of a curiosity than something I really need.