What I find offensive is not the self-deprecation, but what appears to be an attempt to minimize and gloss over the consequences of his mistake.
Yeah, I understand that. And while we could burn up another thread talking about motive and all things Iraq, the bottom line is that I don't agree that Iraq was a bad move. I just don't like the way Bush has handled it. So I see bad handeling as something worth having humor about (as the way he handled it didn't cost lives; the war itself, which I still support, is what cost lives).
How many thousands of people died. How many tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people have had their lives and livelihoods irreparably damaged? Oh, yes, that's a real hoot, all right!
Bush aside, Iraq has been and continues to be a large source of comedic material for many. If it isn't funny because of all the people who have died, it shouldn't be funny no matter who's making the joke.