Oliver, I doesn't seem like you updated the EmpegLink.

Your messages like:

Could not open Fid datafile, probably bad FID:
/drive1/fids/50c1

are from the old EmpegLink. The new EmpegLink I mentioned would have said that it couldn't open Fid datafile " /empeg/fids1/50c1" and not the one with "/drive1/fids/50c1".

You see bad attempts at opening FIDS in drive1 because opening the same FIDS in drive0 failed. EmpegLink simply tries drive0 (actually fids0) and if it is not found there, it tries drive1 (fids1).

Before updating EmpegLink, you need to make sure that the EmpegLink that is currently on your player is unloaded, so it that it can be replaced. To Unload it, you execute EMSC from you computer with the "-t" option (this is in the EMSC web page). For example: "EMSC your.empeg.ip.address -t" from the Windows command line, or through a shortcut. This unloads EmpegLink from your Empeg's memory, and allows you to be able to replace it with the new one. If you replaced EmpegLink by running the provided LoadEmpegLink.cmd, you would have seen some FAILED responses when FTP tried to PUT the new EmpegLink.

All that said, I have read many of the posts regarding the version 3.0 alphas. And many users experience all sorts of problems, even just using the official software (e.g., Emplode). So, although I guess that replacing the EmpegLink may solve the problem, I don't know that it actually will, and if the problems are not solved, I can't tell whether they are due to the instability of Version 3.0 alpha, or to a redesign of empeg_state and hda3 with the new v 3.0 alpha.

I have three empegs, but I am hesitant to install v3 alpha due to the issues about it that have been posted...

Do you have fidsift.sh in addition to V 3.0 alpha x?