I'd suggest going over to Edmunds and search for cars there. They have really good information. (Our resident car dealer would caution you from accepting their TMV numbers at face value, though.)

In fact, I searched for a car with almost the same basic criteria as you (I wanted a manual) just under a year ago. I ended up with a Volvo S60R, which was just over $40k, but I also really liked the BMW 330i and the Audi A4. I don't know if you're looking for performance or luxury or both (or something else), but in any case, I'd definitely give the A4 a look. It's very nice. I don't think that I'd suggest my Volvo with the auto. A lot of people were disappointed with the transmission in it. (Nor, after driving some base models as loaners, would I suggest any S60 other than the R, honestly.) The TL, IIRC, was not out when I was looking, but the TSX was sadly underpowered for a supposed sport sedan when I tested it, FWIW. Rob would suggest the Saab 9-3, but I didn't get a chance to test one thanks to our poor local salesmen.

And you could look at something a little bigger, too. The Audi A6 and the Saab 9-5 could fit in your price range, depending on options.