Rob would suggest the Saab 9-3
The new 9-3 is nice, but if I were to get a Saab sedan I would go for the 9-5. I really like that car and they updated the front a little to make it look more aggressive. The last 9-5 I drove was a 2003 Arc model with automatic. Automatic is lame, but this one had paddle-shifters on the steering wheel for the "sport-shift" feature. Still lame, but at least it's something different. I think that feature is standard now on automatics.

I am biased towards Saabs a little, but I really don't like the A4. My mom buys nothing but A4s every couple years and the interior keeps getting smaller. I can hardly fit in the driver's seat comfortably and I'm only 5'11". Bimmers are nice, but like you said, they're all over the place.

My father has an Acura MDX and my coworker has a Lexus Camry. Both have horribly chosen interior components. The Lexus has 3 different style and color LCD displays on the dash. That's something you would never see on a european car and it bothers me a lot. The Acura has a similar problem, but it's not as bad. Some people simply don't care about that stuff, but it shows Toyota and Honda think making a luxury car means leather and fake wood only.