1. Is your router doing the DHCP assignment, or are you using the built-in DHCP server in the Receiver software?

My router is providing the DHCP assignment. I assume that you mean the section in quesiton 4 when you're speaking of the built-in DHCP server in the receiver software.

2. Are the Win2k/98/ME machines configured to use DHCP or static?

All are static.

3. Does the router do NAT -- i.e. is it assigning private IP addresses to your machines, or is it assigning them from a pool assigned by your cable modem provider?

The router is using NAT. Each macine has an internal address starting with 192.168.0.

4. In the Audio Receiver Manager, go to Tools|IP Configuration. Which network adapters are listed in there? Is "Enable Autoconfiguration" checked for the network adapter? If it is, what IP addresses are in the boxes? Are these what you'd expect for your network?

The network adapters listed are: 1. my NIC; 2. the Rio Audio Connector; 3. WAN NDIS miniport driver (Cisco VPN adapter). I've tried "Enable Autoconfiguration" both checked and unchecked. When it is checked, the IP addresses are valid for my network, although they are in the upper range of available IPs (192.168.0.129 - 192.168.0.254).

5. Is the "Make Music available" box checked?

Yes it is.

With respect to your description of the link and activity lights, I'm seeing a slightly different sequence then you've described. The link light comes on solid a second or two after the power has been turned on and remains solid. The activity light then begins to blink at a rate of one blink every second for about 10 seconds. This is followed by a series (maybe 10) of quick blinks in about 2 seconds. It then slows to one blink every 4 or 5 seconds until the IP address is finally displayed on the front display. I don't know how relevant this is.

I am running a packet sniffer on my LAN (ethereal on a RedHat 7.2 box) and when the receiver connects to either the Win 98SE box or the WinME box, I can see the two of them negotiate with the receiver. When I try to connect to the Win2k box, all that I see is the receiver broadcasting to the entire network searching out a server.

Is there anyting in Win2k that would be acting like a pseudo-firewall? Port blocking perhaps? I haven't found anyting myself, but I'm a bit new to Win2k.

Any other ideas?