Some things I'm keeping in mind for the possibility of building my own house:

1) Regular height counters suck. I'm 6'3", and regular counters are at the height of my knuckles when my arms are straight, which makes the counters, not to mention the sinks, uncomfortable to use.

2) Since I'm tall, over-the-counter storage space is far more valuable than under-the-counter storage space. I hate squatting down to get stuff.

3) Get a double sink in the kitchen. If you have the counterspace to spare (such as on a kitchen island), add an additional sink, even if it's just half-size. Very handy for dinner parties. Get a sink style with a spray-hose.

4) Get a gas stove.

5) Get good lighting over all the counters. Traditionally, light in a kitchen comes from a) the window over the sink, and b) the lamp in the middle of the ceiling. Unless you're at the sink, whatever you're doing is in shadow because you're blocking the light from the ceiling. (Maybe this is just because I'm tall.)

6) Unless you're using wireless, put a network jack in the kitchen for easy access to that on-line cookbook.

7) Make sure that *all* cracks between floor, ceiling, moulding, etc. are sealed. Do this before the cabinetry is put into place. Ants suck. Ants coming from a location you can't get to suck even more.

8) Floor to ceiling shelves for your book/dvd/lavalamp collection. Attach them to the wall so they don't tip over when your children/cats climb on them.

9) Not-white paint (as opposed to off-white, or just white). A good yellow can do wonders for a room.

10) Make sure lightswitches are in logical places. You'd be surprised. In my brother's house, the lightswitch by the stairs operates the light in the hall, and the lightswitch in the hall operates the light in the kitchen, and the lightswitch at the top of the stairs operates the light for the bathroom. It makes *no* sense at all.

11) Get a bathtub you can fit into. (You might not have this problem if you're shorter than I am.)

12) If you can, run the hot-water pipes behind the wall where your bathroom mirror is.

13) Don't put carpet in the bathroom (I've seen it done, and it just ends up stinking like piss).

14) Put cabinets in the bathroom, not just shelves. Keep your toothbrush in the cabinet.

15) In-wall/ceiling speakers in all the common-rooms, switched so you can turn them off individually, or use a different source. It's annoying to be doing chores that take you from room-to-room, and have your music disappear on you, because your stereo/tv is in another room. (Okay, I doubt this one will ever make it off the wish list...)

16) Mirrored sliding closet doors rule!

17) If you have pets, go with hardwood floors. Vacuuming pet-hair off the carpets is a huge pain.

18) Be aware that exposed brick on the interior can be problematic for some people, particularly as it ages.

19) Lots of power outlets, and lots of breakers. Put an outlet on every wall. Don't put your power outlets on the same circuits as your overhead lights.

Hmm... that's all I can think of at the present.