Quote:
1) Regular height counters suck. I'm 6'3", and regular counters are at the height of my knuckles when my arms are straight, which makes the counters, not to mention the sinks, uncomfortable to use.

If you do some sort of non standard height cabinets then be aware that if you ever sell the house then this may be seen as a disadvantage.

Quote:
6) Unless you're using wireless, put a network jack in the kitchen for easy access to that on-line cookbook.

Run multiple wires to each socket even if you only install a single jack plate there. It's all good and stuff having conduit so you can add more but it's still a lot easier to have it there in the first place. Wire is cheap.

If you're looking into having a lighting system put in (and I don't mean X10) then you may also want to run Cat5 & mains from a central wiring closet to each switch, light and wall socket. Nearly all the proper lighting systems require a dedicated signal wire as mains transmission is slow and unreliable i.e. X10. Having a standard mains run as well from the wall switch to the light means you can revert it to a standard system easily if you ever leave so you can take all the bits with you.