Quote:
Use an electrician/electrical engineer to design and install your wiring, unless you really know the codes/regs inside out. Techies tend to think they know how to install wiring but the devil is most definitely in the detail (minimum bend radii, safe zones, correct torques) - this is what an over-confident techie is likely to miss (and the unfortunate thing with lecky is that it works even when the design is wrong). Having said that, here are some things to think about before or while talking to the designer...

It seems like this is problematic in many ways. I've received an AMP certification for cable installation and have seen some troubled installs. One of my friends recently built a house and asked me to help him design the network runs. The builders had their own guy to do the install, and his stuff clashed with the electrical stuff. For example the inspector would not pass the network wiring unless it was all stapled to 2 by 4's. That sounds like pressure you do not want on the cable. Then this guy terminated each pair backwards from the standards (orange - white/orange etc...). Not a big deal, until he needs to re-punch the cable. So the hard part is getting someone who will get both aspects right. I don't know the NEC, and I'm sure most electricians don't know networking standards. You would definitely need to talk with whoever is doing your net install to make sure it's right. I would say run the cable all to one place. All my cable runs to one location to a 24 port patch panel I just got off ebay. It makes my installation much cleaner, and easier to manage with the patch panel than a bunch of wires dangling from the ceiling. Good luck!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons