Quote:
HDNet is actually pretty good, although their movie selection is a little offbeat.

True, but their NHL hockey games are a sight to behold. (If we could get some this year... SIGH...) Anyway, I'm looking forward to being able to Tivo the HD hockey games.

Quote:
HBO-HD is great, although I was surprised to see that many of the shows are HD but 4:3. Movies are always 16:9.

Some of their shows were 4:3 in early seasons and went 16:9 in later seasons (Six Feet Under for example). Movies still aren't all in 16:9, but they've got a better track record of that than Showtime does, because they've had their own High-def telecine equipment for several years now. Showtime may have gotten some recently, but they didn't have any when they first launched their HD channel and so the majority of showtime HD was upconverts at first.

Quote:
Amusing or annoying, the "local channels" from the satellite are still listed next to the OTA local channels.

In long-time DirecTV tradition, there's no way to have the unit automatically hide channels you don't get. You can only do it manually, one channel at a time, and if they change the channel line-up, you're scrod. I find this to be the greatest single irritant of a DirecTV system, but it's been that way for many years and I don't see a chance of it changing soon.