When you add a song with emplode, the first thing it does is upload the song. Then it uploads the changes to the playlists. Then it rebuilds the database based on those changes.

No. It uploads the playlists first. This was changed back in the BETAn days because people got so annoyed about everything ending up in unattached items if a sync failed.

I think I know why the empeg doesn't automatically prune the playlists beneath the playlist you're deleting. It's because there's a possibility that it might be linked elsewhere, and there's (currently) no code to go checking to see if it's linked elsewhere. There's also the possibility that you might have done it accidentally, thinking that it was linked elsewhere, but in fact you just deleted the last link.

It does prune them. Each item has a reference count and once that hits zero the file gets deleted. It seems that this is going wrong somewhere. Exactly how are you deleting the files? Pressing the delete key? Right clicking and selecting delete? I can't reproduce the problem here.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)