Quote:
What's with these profiles anyway ? What are they for ? The first time I ever heard of those was with Firefox, but I never had to use them. What's their purpose ? I assume it's because multiple users would each have "their" own version of the browser/email client. (is this a Linux thing ?)

A good question. I've never figured it out. It started with Netscape (like 3.x) on Windows. I assumed it was there so that Windows machines without a real notion of multiple users (the 95, 98, Me line) could still have multiple user settings within Netscape. Now it's confusingly come back to the Unix side for no apparent reason. (I could go on a rant about Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird installation under Unix, but I'll spare you.) It's definitely not a Unix thing.

Quote:
Those "local folders" in TB ? What's with those?? What's their use ??

Another good question. I haven't used a POP account in many years and assumed that that's where POP messages went, but now that I think about it, they probably have their own folders. Actually, looking just now, it seems that you can set up POP accounts to go into their own folders or into the "Local Folders" folders, while IMAP messages always stay in their own hierarchy. So that's what it's for (plus movemail under Unix). Don't know why it's not removable, though. I just collapse it, place it at the bottom, and ignore it.

Quote:
Attachments.

Yeah, that's normal. The attachments are embedded in the email messages just like they were received. Honestly, I've never heard of an email client that would do that before. (Well, I've heard of Eudora and used it -- hated it -- but I didn't know it had that feature.)