Quote:
Quote:
What's with these profiles anyway ? What are they for ? The first time I ever heard of those was with Firefox, but I never had to use them. What's their purpose ? I assume it's because multiple users would each have "their" own version of the browser/email client. (is this a Linux thing ?)

A good question. I've never figured it out. It started with Netscape (like 3.x) on Windows. I assumed it was there so that Windows machines without a real notion of multiple users (the 95, 98, Me line) could still have multiple user settings within Netscape. Now it's confusingly come back to the Unix side for no apparent reason. (I could go on a rant about Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird installation under Unix, but I'll spare you.) It's definitely not a Unix thing.

OK, that's good to know. Still strange though, and confusing. For some reason, it seems they want to give users the option of using personalised verision of TB/FF, even if there's only use one users account on a PC. That's just plain stupid. Just give each user a different account and be done with it.

Quote:

Quote:
Those "local folders" in TB ? What's with those?? What's their use ??

Another good question. I haven't used a POP account in many years

I would prefer IMAP too, but over here that really isn't common. No ISP that I know supports it. Basically you would need to run your own email server to be able to do that, but that also isn't allowed by most ISP's. Don't ask me why, I don't know...

Quote:
and assumed that that's where POP messages went, but now that I think about it, they probably have their own folders.

That's correct, they do. Which makes the usefullness of those local folders IMHO about zero... Unless I'm missing something of course.

Quote:
Actually, looking just now, it seems that you can set up POP accounts to go into their own folders or into the "Local Folders" folders, while IMAP messages always stay in their own hierarchy. So that's what it's for (plus movemail under Unix). Don't know why it's not removable, though. I just collapse it, place it at the bottom, and ignore it.

Good suggestion. I'll do that.

Quote:

Quote:
Attachments.

Yeah, that's normal. The attachments are embedded in the email messages just like they were received. Honestly, I've never heard of an email client that would do that before. (Well, I've heard of Eudora and used it -- hated it -- but I didn't know it had that feature.)

What do you mean? You've never heard of an email client that did embed their attachements into their emails, or you've never heard of one that didn't do that ? I like the way that Eudora stores all the attachements in a separate folder. This is so by default. Makes a lot more sense than embedding them in the email itself if you ask me. (and a lot easier to make a backup of them too). Of course, this is only so providing that you don't change your attachment directory. Ever. Otherwise you're in for a treat. But who would want to do that anyway?

I've used Eudora for so long now, I've become pretty used to it. I like how everything can be done in one screen, with the tabs and all. I've noticed how TB opens a new window for almost everything you click on, which rapidly clutters the taskbar. I know there are probably better clients out there than Eudora, but for now, it does exactly what I want it to. If there was a Linux version of it, I wouldn't even be considering this migration. But the general idea is that I want to be able to use the same email data with a Windows and a Linux version of TB, in a multi-boot config. That's for the future though, but I figured I might as well get used to TB a bit already. However, I must admit that the first impression isn't a particulary good one. Opposite to FireFox, which I LOVED from the very first minute.