DS1808

MAX5437

Thanks, both of you... but I failed to list one of the critical specifications: the wiper memory has to be non-volatile. I can't be in the position of having to re-tune my system from scratch every time I turn on the ignition!

Although... hmmmm... y'know, those digital pots don't draw any significant amount of current. I suppose I could just leave them "hot" all the time. I'll have to check with my electrical engineer friend (he's the one who is designing this system; my total knowledge of electronics is that light bulbs unscrew counter-clockwise).

Tom (my engineer) had already looked at and rejected one of these chips (don't know which one, but probably the MAX5437) because in addition to not storing the wiper position, it uses a clocked, serial input requiring a microcontroller; and it is a surface mount chip which we want to avoid if at all possible.

One more parameter to add to the mix: it should have a temperature range that extends down to -40 degrees (C or F, take your pick!) and +60 C on the high end would be good too.

edit: Oh, and audio taper as opposed to linear would be nice, but not essential.

Any more ideas? Keep 'em coming if you can, I really appreciate it.

tanstaafl.

Edited by tanstaafl. (03/04/2005 16:47)