Quote:
I can get a wireless headset, which would seem to be the best approach except that they all seem to cost a really silly amount, £100 and up for a phone with no dial pad and a fiddly interface for transferring calls (plantronics C65 seems to be the cheapest of these)

I have the same problem as you in that I can't work while on the phone unless I have a headset and I like to wander around when talking or on hold.

I've had a Plantronics C65 since Christmas and I'm very pleased with it. It is just shy of £100, so it's expensive, but the sound quality is very good and it is solidly built. It comes with two types of over the head straps and three sizes of over the ear hooks.

In order to overcome the problems with transferring calls to it, I just paired it with an old DECT base station and connected a second DECT base station and handset to the same line.

Also, compared to a Bluetooth headset, the quality is better and the range much further. I've not had any problems with battery life, but I do tend to place it on the charger whenever I'm not using it, even if just for 10 minutes.