Quote:
Have you registered a business for the purpose of selling buttons? Will you be declaring the money you make selling them for income tax purposes? Are you charging tax to residents of your state? (you have to be registered to do that anyway).

Then it's not a commercial business and therefore not a commercial sale. No commercial invoice is required.

I don't think that this is actually true (in the US anyway). It is perfectly possible and legal to run a business as a sole proprietor without registering. You'd still be doing commercial business though. The major difference between do this and registering a business is that your personal liability to business-related debt is unlimited. The purpose of registering a business is to create an entity separate from yourself that can carry its own bank balance and thus insulate you from debt. It also allows you to share ownership of a company. Obviously there are many other differences, including in how they are taxed, but a sole proprietorship is still a commercial business.

Quote:

I hate to see such hobby projects get so complicated because people get wrapped up in beurocratic "process."

Tman, if the package gets lost in the mail you're likely screwed regardless of the amount declared for customs. Canada post and US Post have an automatic $100 coverage on small packets. The customs value is not the same as the insurance value. It's possible to ship something as a sample that costs $1000. It has that value to the originator even though the recipient may not have paid anything for it (and may have to return it). Incidentally, last I recall this covers breakage only - if it's lost, it's lost and gone. But I could be wrong on this - I've only ever had to make claims with courier serives.

Bruno

I agree with the rest of what you said, 100%!