quote]

What do you need the external EQ for in the empeg install? You think you're going to improve the sound with it? Not likely. Remove that wasteful component and you have some instant savings. If your system doesn't sound right then you've messed up the install or those Kappas aren't as good as the chavs and skids who buy them think they are.

The Pioneer looks like some dead-end ultra-low-end piece of crap. One single disc? Ha. you have to swap between map disc and music disc or DVD. That's lame and that's why it's under $2000. Seriously, you're going to buy something from a company that uses Scions for displays?

"WE" are supposed to know... Well, here's what I know. I consider Pioneer and Alpine mass-market low-end crap as far as audio goes. But maybe you'll be happy with them seeing as you also went for Infinity products.

My suggestion is to get some Alpine model and then get yourself an iPod. Then you'll have the low-end mass-market poser head unit you've been lusting after for ages, you'll have MP3's on a respectable hard drive and... You can probably stop asking these questions for at least another three months (until something crawls up your butt again and you get that "let's change everything" itch.)

I can't stand people not doing their own research when all the info is right in front of them. But someone asking the same thing... Over and over and over burns me the most. Use empirical testing - try everything for yourself and judge.

Bruno

The typos are for Bitt.

What I want from the DEQ is simple a Cross-over I want the sound below 90Ish Hz to only go to the sub not the door speakers (something the empeg lacks)

I have no Idea what “chavs and skids” is but I am pretty sure it’s an insult to someone.
Name something better under 600 a pair. Focal, MB quartz, Diamond Audio, maybe Boston acoustics then Infinity.
I have owned Diamond’s Flag Ship Hex Speakers 799 a pair, I have owned Boston Acoustic 3 ways system for over 800 before installation and I keep going back to Infinity because to me they sound more realistic.

“Well, here's what I know. I consider Pioneer and Alpine mass-market low-end crap as far as audio goes. But maybe you'll be happy with them seeing as you also went for Infinity products” (Seeing Mark Levinson only builds systems for Lexus and Krell hasn’t started making Car speakers so what do you run that is so much better)

“Alpine model and then get yourself an iPod. Then you'll have the low-end mass-market poser head unit you've been lusting after for ages”

You don’t know a DAMM THING about me, if you would have bother to pay attention I had the IVA-900 and sold it to get Empeg number seven because the Ipod interface was junk.

“I can't stand people not doing their own research when all the info is right in front of them. “

All the info it NOT right in front of me because Empeg didn’t include some information that no one seems willing to pass on but here is the info.

Alpine IVA-901
Pretty good numbers for "mass-market low-end crap"

Channel Separation (1kHz) : 85 dB
DAC Type : M DAC (96kHz / 24Bit Multi-Level DAC)
Dynamic Range (1kHz) : 95 dB
Frequency Response : 5-20k ±1 dB
Horizontal Resolution : 500 lines or greater
Number of DACs : 2
Optical Output : Toslink (Dolby Digital/DTS/ LPCM)
Oversampling : 8X/352.8kHz
Sampling Rate : 44.1khz
Signal-to-Noise (S/N) : 105 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) : 0.008%
Wow & Flutter (%WRMS) : B.M.L

Pioneer Avic-N2
Sampling Frequency 44.1/48/96kHz
Quantization Bits 16/20/24-bit:Linear
Frequency Response 5 ~ 44,000Hz at 96khz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 97db (1kHz)
Dynamic Range 95db (1kHz)
Distortion 0.008% (1kHz)

Audigy

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (AES17, A-Weighted)
Output Voltage @ 2Vrms
Stereo Output 113dB
Front and Rear Channels 113dB
Center, Subwoofer and Side Channels 113dB

Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise at 1kHz (AES17) = 0.003% (2V Rated Output)
Frequency Response +/-3dB: 10Hz to 46kHz

Empeg
Audio DAC sample rate fixed 44.1KHz
DAC typical S/N ratio 110dBA
DAC typical output noise 3uV
DAC typical THD + N 1Khz, 0dB -70dBA
DAC typical dynamic range 1Khz (-60dB) 102dBA
DAC max crosstalk 10Khz -69dB
Aux input frequency response 20Hz to 18KHz
Aux input typical channel seperation 50dB
Equaliser 20 band parametric set as 2 x 10-band or 4 x 5-band
Other audio features Dynamic range compression

Notice all the numbers are Typical output of the DAC and don’t take into account any other losses or issues, none of the actual numbers are listed and no listing for frequency response has ever been posted to my knowledge.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/