...it would be fun to us to all compare our favorite demo lists.

We have two songs in common on our demo lists, and come pretty close on a couple more.

I have "Tom Sawyer" and "Modoc" on my list. In addition I kept "YYZ", for the strong stereo imaging in the opening bars (with the triangle) and that rumbling sustained 'A' note near the end.

I also have a song from Crystal Method's 'Vegas' -- but the one I chose is "Busy Child", with those very heavy bass hits that rattle the whole car.

Did you ever consider that "Borealis" song I sent you, the one from Sheffield Labs? That's a good show piece if your stereo is really good on light, clear bright treble. That one is on my list.

The rest of my list is pretty divergent from yours and probably everybody else's too. :-)

I start out with Chopin's Opus 10 Etude in C-Major, an incredibly rich solo piano piece, followed by the Crystal Method piece and the "Borealis" piece mentioned above.

Next is a selection from Gustav Holst 'The Planets' -- "Mars, the Bringer of War" is good for demonstrating linearity throughout the spectral range. Other selections include three IASCA tracks, Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" for pipe organ, a selection from Verdi's opera 'Rigoletto', and a performance of the final movement of Hummel's "Concerto for Trumpet". A few other odds and ends (including "Orinoco Flow" by enya) round out the list.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"