Done reading, fed and showered, here goes. I may ruin things for those who haven't seen the movie after this point, so I'm gonna leave the obligatory large space.

And here it is.

Sure you wanna see this?

You've got one last chance to stop reading here.

2. In the 70's version, the primary theme of the story is the morality play about being honest and not selling out, with the kids all spying for Slugworth. The Burton film does away with that theme, and instead goes for the theme of "Your family is the most important thing." Which, if either, of those themes is the one from the book?

Neither. Good things come to those who aren't insufferable brats is what I got from the book. There is no slugworth in the book, no returning of the everlasting gobstopper, nada. Neither is there any question of Charlie's family not coming along into the factory at the end. The book ending involves charlie crashing through the bucket home, and putting the old folks bed into the glass elevator with him.

Other things I noticed different from the book and the movies. I missed the first 3-5 minutes, as well as Violet Beauregarde's demise (got up when the pink boat came on screen, returned when they were just entering the nut room.

• The Indian prince who comissioned Wonka to build him a chocolate palace was in neither film.

• Grandpa Joe mentions working in the Wonka factory in the second movie, but not in the first, nor in the book.

• In the book, Mr Bucket loses his job at the toothpaste factory due to it going out of business, not automation. I do not recall Mr Burcket even being in the first movie (which I saw many times, and every since on of them under the influence of drugs, so I'm not the best reference on it. I could be wrong on this.)

• There isn't much description, if any, of the severity of the starvation Charlie and his family endured after Mr Bucket lost his job in either of the movies.

• Charlie finds the golden ticket in the second bar of chocolate he buys, not the first, nor in the street (is that how he finds it in the first one?). He never considers selling it in the book as he does in the second movie.

• The speech off the cue cards Wonka reads in the second film is mostly printed on the golden ticket. And in the book, it allows the child to bring one or two members of their family.

• It was cold with snow on the ground when they entered the factory in the book. Kept in film two, changed in the original.

• Everyone but Charlie brought both parents.

• In the book, Willy is described as wearing a black top hat, plum velvet tailcoat, bottle green trousers and pearl gray gloves. Neither film gets this completely right.

• The first movie was closer to the book during the entrance to the factory scene, but the whole exploding musical wax dolls was a really cool addition.

• Mrs Salt is the grography teacher, not Mr Teavee (film 2) or Mrs Beauregarde (film 1).

• In the book, the Oopma-Loopmas are described as being dressed in their native deerskin garments at all times.

• After the restretching of Mike Teavee, Wonka mentions fattening him back up with Supervitamin Candy. I don't recall metion of this in either film.

• Augustus leaves the factory thinner in the book due to being squeezed in the pipe.

Interesting observation which may or may not be of any relevance, could just be an odd coincidence. The Russian forger in the book is named Charlotte Russe. I noticed a chain of womens clothing stores by this name in malls (Never went into one, I could smell the cheap coming out of the doors and from the window display, it looks at least 10 years too young for me.) Just struck me as wierd.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony