Quote:
Depp just completely blew it for me. What the hell was that performance? A friend told me that he took inspiration from Michael Jackson

That's what everyone is saying and I think it's getting annoying. I've heard the lamest connections for why people think that ("well, Depp's last movie was Finding Neverland, and Michael Jackson lives at Neverland Ranch and models himself after Peter Pan...so that must be who he's trying to be in this film!"). Why can't people see that he's just trying to create a strange and unique performance? It's become a game of "lets see which famous person he's trying to bring to this eccentric character!" I thought it was wonderful and there were so many subtley weird moments to his performance.

The other side of it is that you're comparing him to Wilder's performance unfairly. Everyone, Depp included, knew that Depp couldn't attempt to mimic or recreate Wilder's Wonka. He tried to go in a different direction, and I admire him for taking the risk. It's unfortunate that everyone seems to hate it...

Quote:
I did enjoy some stuff. To me, Danny Elfman is god

Gotta love Mr Elfman. He gets knocked by the critics sometimes, but few composers are as entertaining and/or instantly recognizable.

Quote:
The kids/parents were suitably bizzare and bratty.

If I hadn't seen her in other things (like The Tick) or if she didn't have an imdb profile, I would have thought Mrs. Beauregarde was a robot or CG. She was wonderful!

Quote:
In the end, IMO, Burton has forever marred another classic movie.

Why? Just because of Depp's performance? Besides, wouldn't that be Depp's fault, not Burton's? I didn't see anything in your post that speaks ill of Burton's treatment of the story, aside from a lack of songs which I don't believe were in the original story anyway, so they'd be strange in this movie.

Quote:
Did you guys see Burton in the HBO making of show for Charlie? He isn't looking too good these days either.

Tim Burton, at some point, has looked good?