Quote:
We did not need one second of this series flashbacks to explain nor reinforce Michael's behaviour/emotions/actions in this episode nor how he has developed since landing on the island.
I don't know that I'd agree with this, but even if I grant it, the point is to tell Michael's story, which is what this show has been so great about doing. What has made Lost so strong has been that it puts the characters and their development front and center. The mystery and intrigue of the island are interesting, but it is the characters and their stories which really drive this thing.

When we watched the first season, I really wondered how they came up with some of the characters. In particular, Hurley intrigued me since his type is usually not found in drama. You might see "laid back fat dude" in a comedy, but not usually something like Lost- those slots are usually reserved for compelling, dramatic, pretty people. And yet his character (and others like him) give the show a unique flavor that really sets it apart. Because survivors of a plane crash aren't going to just be a bunch of intensly dramatic models- there is going to be a huge crossection of different backgrounds and ethnicities. What I found watching the extra features DVD is that they cast for about 2 or 3 parts (Kate & Sawyer) and then wrote in parts for everyone else who they liked (they didn't even initally cast for Jack because they were going to kill him off in the pilot). So the characters of Sun, Charlie, and Hurley were written for those actors because they liked them so much. I think that was a very cool approach and has led to one of the most unique ensembles in television.

Anyway, early on I was kind of wondering what they were going to do once all of the character's back stories had been revealed, and now I see that they are going to more fully explore those backstories. I think it's a good move and will be an interesting ride as long as the show stays strong.

I do find it humerous how Jack said something to the effect of "who we were doesn't matter anymore" early on (the pilot maybe?)