OK, I put way more time into this then I ever intended so hopefully someone beside me will find it usefull. I've got mt-daapd running on the empeg. This will allow any computer on your network running iTunes to stream music from your empeg. For now I'm not going to bother with an installer or detailed directions, but here is the gist of it...

Instructions
  • 1. You need a kernel compiled with Multicast support. Either roll your own or grap this one from me which includes hijack, multicast, and ext3 support.
  • 2. Reserve some memory for mt-daapd by adding a ReserveCache line to the appropriate spot in your config.ini. A value of 40 seems to work well enough for my empeg with 62 gigs of music running v3a11 (I made some changes to mt-daapd to cut down a lot on it's memory requirements so it shouldn't require a memory upgraded player). If you don't give it enough memory your empeg will probably still show up under iTunes, but when you click on it you will never get a list of mp3s.
  • 3. While you're in config.ini you might want to add a menuexec line as well, something like:
    Code:
    ;@AC ;@MENUEXEC daapd exec /drive0/bin/mt-daapd/mt-daapd -c /drive0/bin/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

• 4. Grab this tar file and copy it to your player.
  • 5. Extract it like so
    Code:
    tar -xf empeg-daapd.tar /

This will extract to /drive0/bin/mt-daapd
  • 6. mt-daapd needs to build a database of your mp3s, this takes a long time the first time so don't do it with the player software running. Run
    Code:
    /drive0/bin/mt-daapd/mt-daapd -c /drive0/bin/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

After the first time it just updates the existing database so it is much faster.
  • 7. This will run in the background and you'll know it is done when "empeg" pops up under iTunes as a shared drive.

Caveats
  • 1. This will remount your /drive0 as read/write automatically for a few minutes every time you start it. It has to in order to update it's database. On my empeg with 62 gigs of music this takes about 5 minutes with the player running. Do not unplug your empeg until it shows up under iTunes or you risk file system corruption and will have to do an fsck the next time you want to load music. It will go back to read only when it is complete.
  • 2. I'm not sure if this works on players that haven't been fid sifted. I don't have one here to try.
  • 3. I'm not sure what will happen if this hits an audio file that isn't an mp3. I think it will skip it and if it doesn't it is unlikely iTunes will play it.
  • 4. The empeg is slow when the player is running. Don't be surprised if it takes a few minutes for tracks to show up in iTunes after you click on the shared playlist.
  • 5. This keeps it's database which is on /drive0 open at all times so you won't be able to sync with it running. I may fix this at some point.
  • 6. Don't futz with the location of the files, just leave everything where it is as some of the paths are hardcoded.

If you want the source code you can grab it here. This is based on mt-daapd version 0.2.3.

-Mike

Edited by mcomb (30/09/2005 20:24)