If a virgin laptop drive spins but you don't hear the familiar scratchings does that necessarily mean it's dead?
I am attempting to replace a dieing/dead original drive in the Empeg w/another but it seems dead as well. I know it's NOT the IDE header or cable for another works in it's place. I attempted to put the builder upgrade on the new drive, continue to get a 'bad pump response' error. This happened from the start. If I get a laptop to IDE adapter for my WinXP PC would that tell me anything about it being defective? How does one truly know a hard drive is bad when it's new?
Another odd thing is the original dieing/dead drive gave me the same errors even though it worked before I ran the builder upgrade, I wasn't concerned w/the data on it being lost but it seems strange that it won't respond either. I thought it would give me a little more time out of it. Of course I can't test on any other drives as they are keepers. So what I have is a potentially dead new drive & old drive that doesn't respond to the 'builder upgrade'. Does this make any sense?

Edited by Snowshoe (30/01/2006 21:25)