Quote:
While this solution may be a bit extreme (a couple of thousand dollars IIRC - call them), you might have some luck with a switched power supply such as this one from Interpower.

It takes the incoming AC voltage, uses a switching device to create high-voltage DC and then re-creates an AC waveform via PWM. We use them for creating 230V/50Hz power off of our 115V/60Hz lines for AC motor testing.

In your case you'd set the input and output to 115V/60Hz. We used this device to help with a spate of dirty power (which made our motor speeds vary) with good results.

If it didn't solve the problem you could probably return it.

-Zeke

The unit you described is usually called an On Line UPS, and are the best option for locations with bad power.

Most APC units I've dealt with are stand by units, they let the power from the utility pass thou them until a problem occurs then they react to the problem. they are good for blackouts but not much else. I'd stay away from the APC Matrix 5000 series I've seen more than one with less then 100% load catch fire for no reason.

When you had the power quality checked did they use a True RMS meter, and a spectrum analyser to the measure your harmonic current load?