Quote:
Let me look and see what the pinouts are on that jack.

Okay, I think it goes like this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The power connector has three pins: Positive power (tip +), negative ground (sleeve -), and the sensing pin (s). They are arranged in this shape (viewed from beneath):

Code:

_______s_
| |
Plug goes in here -> | - |+
|_________|

Test this with an AC adaptor plug that is not plugged into the wall. You must remove the motherboard completely so you can get to its bottom side for this test.

When the plug is not inserted into the jack, you should have continuity between - and s.
When the plug IS inserted into the jack, you should have NO continuity between - and s.
At no time should there be continuity between, + and either of the other two pins.

Rob S., is that correct?

Hm. Now that I look at it... Based on the design of the jack, it's hard to imagine a situation where it would get stuck in "DC" mode. I can see how it would easily get stuck in AC mode, but a DC mode stick would indicate that something had gone horribly wrong (like something snapped off completely), or there was a piece of foreign metal inside the jack, or a piece of foreign metal inside the casing of the empeg, causing the two pins to short.

Hm. Maybe this problem IS something more than just the jack.

Quote:
Now, Tony, isn't the AC Jack Failure the one that makes a DC player think it is on AC? This unit has the opposite problem.

Yeah. Exactly.