I also hate to think that folks are out there complaining "the empeg is neat, but you can't read the display during the day".

I LOVE my empeg, but I can't read the display during the day. NEVER. EVER. Well, the only way I can read the display during the day is to pull over under a bridge or lean over and shield the light with my hand. I am ashamed to show to my friends unless it's dark out. Even then they say "Boy that's cool. Too bad the display isn't better". Anything less than 80% might as well be off. My faceplate is blue.

It came in the same shipment as an amber unit which was so unreadable, that the owner replaced the filter with a clear piece of plexiglass. The sun totally washes it out but you can read it in the shade.

I've been incredulous that other people are happy with their displays and have been playing with building my own (EMI coating + circular polarizer + color matched filter + AR coating).

Is there any way I can test for this broken cap? I am an EE with a lab and will be willing to pay for any damage I might cause. My empeg is nearing the end of its warranty anyway, and I have a lot of confidence in my work. Please, Hugo, anyone, tell me what to do!!!

I will scream if I send it away for a week and it comes back only 10% brighter. I'd be better off to finish my custom faceplate...

HELP!

-jim 080000260 w/18G in a Carrera