Quote:
I read that announcement, and it came across more as embarrassment about having to explain to his grandmother what it stood for.
I think the issue for him personally was a bit broader than just his grandmother; more that this was an example that made him feel uncomfortable about the site.

Quote:
If it was me, I'd simply have said "The Daily What-the-F", and grandma would be smart enough to work out what I meant without me saying it.
Well, in fact when I've pointed people to the site and they've asked for an explanation as to what WTF means, this is precisely what I've said. I get the impression that Alex's main issue wasn't offending his grandma (since he could have simply explained it was "worse than failure" to her) as it was he felt like he was creating something publicly that wasn't consistent with his personal values.

I can see myself in his situation, creating a site called the thedailywtf because it's funny for a small obscure audience, having the thing really grow, and then realize that maybe what I'd created wasn't consistent with my personal values. Of course, that's just speculation. I don't know the author of the site at all; I DO think this was a decision broader than just trying to appease his grandmother. After all, he had to know this will probably kill his business (which it has become since he sells advertising on it).

This IS a question broader than this one example, though. For example, what if some mega-chain bookstore decides to stop selling a book because they believe it to be offensive to most people. Is this censorship or so-called self-censorship? Should they have the right to do that?