Quote:
Thanks, Bruno, I'll try those things next opportunity and report back.

Okay, here's some fun facts.

Any combination of putting the mac mini TO SLEEP while the ...
-cable is unplugged
-switch box is switched away from the mac's input
will induce the bug. Doesn't matter if the mac is at the login screen or it's logged in. Doesn't matter how the mac wakes up, either. It's the act of putting it TO SLEEP while DISCONNECTED from its display that causes this.

Any combination of unplugging cable or switching away the switch box are synonymous. I get all the same behaviors no matter which of those I do. So I don't think it's the switchbox, it's the act of being disconnected from mister TV at sleepytime that causes this.

If I force the mac back into sleep mode and awake again after the screen is corrupted: No fix. Once the corruption happens, resleeping doesn't fix it.

No amount of switching or unplugging or replugging or waiting or any combination thereof will fix it once it's happened.

In theory, doing DETECT DISPLAYS should fix it, but executing the keystrokes to do DETECT DISPLAYS doesn't fix it. However, as I'll mention in the next paragraph, I can't be sure that I'm doing the right keystrokes. Because...

When the display is switched away/unplugged/whatever, the keystrokes don't necessarily behave the way you expect them to. Focus goes kinda wonky on the mac if it thinks the display is disconnected. For example. I was doing Ctrl-F2 to activate the finder menu, then up and down arrow keys to select items. Well, those work sometimes, but if I've got the display switched away, do those keystrokes, and then I switch it back, I see that BOTH the finder menu is highlighted AND the item on the desktop that the keys woulda selected is highlighted. You shouldn't be able to do both, but there ya go.

Anyhoo. Even with the above, I don't think DETECT DISPLAYS fixed it. I think it was really doing it and it just didn't work.

Rebooting fixes it of course, but I wanted something quicker than a reboot.

sudo killall WindowServer does, in fact, work to fix it. It basically kills the UI, drops out to the login screen, and reloads the video driver. Is nice. Is lots of keystrokes. Is pain to execute correctly blind. But is nice.

Wonder what's really causing all this? Any ideas Bruno?