Originally Posted By: mlord
Gag. Please do the Linux community a nice service by not even bothering to try and debug this setup.

Instead, pull down a Ubuntu ISO image and boot from that (inside your PC emulator or whatever you called it).

Erm. I wanted to use Suse and not Ubuntu after you saying it was a good choice, since Suse is 'the' KDE distro and Ubuntu uses Gnome. Is this the wrong choice now after all?

Also VirtualBox is virtualisation software that even comes standard with most Linux distros these days, just like Xen. That was the reason I chose to use it.

Quote:

It should boot up to a full GUI, with no questions asked.
If that works, then just click on the "Install" icon from the desktop that it presents you with.

The same happened with Suse. I also had absolutely no problems installing it. The installation GUI booted up just fine and during the installation I only had to select the type of keyboard I was using (in my case Belgian azerty), all the rest was ok. It was only after the installation had finished that Suse refused to boot into KDE.

Quote:

Linux doesn't have to be almost as difficult to install as Windows, but some vendors seem to go out of their way to make it so.

Agreed. As said, installation wasn't difficult. At all. It's only that it didn't work in the end, after the installation was done. I might give Ubuntu a try after all, but I'm a bit reluctant since I've already bought several Suse manuals and I'd like to use those for one, and secondly because I can't download the Ubuntu distro with the download ratio I have left for this month, after having downloaded Suse first. (yes, in Belgium we still have download ratios per month, don't ask...)

Maybe this was due to VirtualBox after all, and I should give Xen or Quemu a try instead...