Originally Posted By: Archeon

Erm. I wanted to use Suse and not Ubuntu after you saying it was a good choice, since Suse is 'the' KDE distro and Ubuntu uses Gnome. Is this the wrong choice now after all?

Well, it was definitely worth trying, but Suse/Redhat just don't get it yet when it comes to making things usable. So since Suse failed, the best bet is to try Ubuntu. Which is spelt with a leading K if you want the KDE version by default rather than Gnome. So Kubuntu, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: mlord

It should boot up to a full GUI, with no questions asked.
If that works, then just click on the "Install" icon from the desktop that it presents you with.

The same happened with Suse. I also had absolutely no problems installing it. The installation GUI booted up just fine and during the installation I only had to select the type of keyboard I was using (in my case Belgian azerty), all the rest was ok. It was only after the installation had finished that Suse refused to boot into KDE.

That, is where they differ. (K)Ubuntu use *themselves* for the live installer, rather than a special "installation distro" that isn't 100% the same as the one they're actually installing for use later. That's a huge reason for the popularity of (K)Ubunutu nowadays -- if the install CD boots, then you *really *are* *running* the final distro, so one can then click on the "install" icon with confidence.

Of course, it still has it's quirks on some machines.

Quote:

Maybe this was due to VirtualBox after all, and I should give Xen or Quemu a try instead...

That's a possibility. But rather than fuss with more alpha-quality software (Xen, Quemu, ..), I'd go the other way with a free professional product: the free version of VMware "Server". Their installer sucks, but the code itself is amazing!

Cheers