Originally Posted By: tman
UK prices but a PS3 is £300, a writer is about £160, write once media is about £8 and rewritable media is about £9. Its still fairly expensive but not extravagantly expensive like it was a few or so ago.

True, but that's not what I said. I don't care what they were, I care what they are, and the price-per-GB on Blu-Ray media is ridiculous when compared to DVDs or even hard drives. I know the price will come down, as it did with CDs and DVDs before, but it's going to take a while, IMO.

Quote:
If you want the highest quality picture and audio then I guess you'd have to still get a disc of some kind. The HD downloads are compressed more than HD discs and also aren't 1080. I don't see people regularly sucking down 30+ GB just to watch 1 film at 1080p with less artifacts.

You're correct that the quality on the discs is as good as you can get, and downloads are still not up to snuff. That's not what I was saying, though. It just seems to me that by the time digital downloads become the new medium, Blu-Ray won't have had nearly the run that DVD did. If you look at how well Apple and Netflix (and even Amazon) are doing it now, even with their drawbacks, it just looks more like a cloud over the future of physical media to me than a current competitor.

Quote:
Unless you have a shiny new HD TV there isn't really that much point to buying Blu-Ray unless you want to be "futureproof"

And why would you do that anyway? If you don't have an HDTV you can go out and get a DVD player for about $25.

The proliferation of HDTVs is what this is all really about anyway. When DVD came out, it could replace every single VCR. Blu-Ray cannot do the same thing to DVD players. Regardless of my predictions on downloadable content, I still maintain that Blu-Ray has no chance of seeing the same success that DVD did.