Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: Drakino
I don't see the name changing anytime soon. The Blu-ray association has spent a ton of money on brand recognition...

I'm not saying that the official name will change, just popular usage. I'm trying to imagine Mom (or really anyone) saying to me, "I'm going to the Blockbuster to rent a BluRay disc," the same way she might say, "I'm going to the Blockbuster to rent a DVD."

Maybe the change will just be in avoiding referring to them directly — "I'm going to the Blockbuster to rent a movie" — only using the term BluRay when distinguishing it from a different format. I wouldn't be surprised if people just kept calling them DVDs otherwise.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I believe that the term BluRay will not become part of commonplace parlance in the way that DVD has.

Huh. I wonder what people actually say in this situation.

"I'm going to Blockbuster to rent a DVD"

or

"I'm going to Blockbuster to rent a movie"

...and back in time which of the following would you have said?

"I'm going to Blockbuster to rent a Betamax movie."

or

"I'm going to Blockbuster to rent a VHS movie."

or

"I'm going to Blockbuster to rent a movie."

I don't foresee any need to change the name (officially or "just on the street"), it's just the underlying technology.

Most people will be aware of the formats that they can play in their household so a "DVD/HD-DVD/BLURAY" disc is just a movie.

(imo!)

Edited by sn00p (29/02/2008 08:44)