Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I use Thunderbird day-to-day. It has a lot of faults, but it's straightforward and simple.

When I started using Mail (see below) I found it had everything that I first liked about Thunderbird without any of the stuff I didn't.

Quote:
The thing that pisses me off most about Mail.app is that it decides that it needs to combine all of my Inboxes into one view. I really don't want my personal mail mixed up with my work mail.

I wouldn't stand for that problem either. But Mail doesn't do that. At least not in the past two OS versions. When I said I used Mail I didn't mean to imply I have always used it. I found it pretty craptastic up until the version in Mac OS 10.4 Tiger. As a matter of fact, while I was running Mac OS 10.3 Panther on my then new PowerBook, I still kept The Bat running on my Windows machine as my primary mail client.

Getting fed up with having to use the other machine for Mail I then switched to Thunderbird for a little while but then when I started using develo seeds pment of Tiger (remember where I worked and that I was also testing stuff I was designing on this machine) I switched over to Mail.

Anyway, back to the gripe... "INBOX" is a meta object with a disclosure triangle to its left, just like every other "Mailbox," including Sent and Deleted. Flipping the triangle reveals all the unique Inboxes of all your accounts (you can name each one whatever you want). I always have the triangle flipped so I can see each inbox. I don't do this for the other mailboxes though except for on a special occasion when searching for something.

I can't recall if the UI design you describe was in the 10.3 version of Mail or even an earlier version. I do know that I disliked earlier versions enough to not even consider them. I didn't even consider Mac OS as a primary platform until 10.3. 10 and 10.1 I'd even consider technology previews. wink Anything below that wasn't even a proper OS and not worth my time except for my paycheck.

It seems the Mac OS version of Google's Chrome will likely only debut well into the Windows beta cycle, with no mention of how far away that might be. Let's hope a significant amount of time and effort are spent polishing everything up so it behaves like a proper OS citizen while the backbone of the app receives the must-have features everyone on every platform is sure to request.