I own an HD DirecTivo, HR10-250. I got a vague email starting with this paragraph:

Quote:
We have changed the manner in which we broadcast HD channels. Soon, your current DIRECTV® High-Definition equipment will not be HD compatible. Please call 1-888-763-7772 today and DIRECTV will replace your incompatible HD equipment FREE OF CHARGE. No strings attached.

What exactly does this mean?

If it's just the usual thing of how some of the channels are on the MPEG-4 birds now, and I'm not getting all the channels I could be getting because I don't have MPEG-4: Yeah fine whatever.

If it's telling me that they're going to discontinue all HD programming on the older birds, and that I *must* have an MPEG-4 capable receiver to get some of the HD channels I'm currently getting, then I'm listening, but I want a timetable.

I've heard there's going to be a new HD DirecTivo coming in 2009. If I can wait, I'll wait. I don't want to move to the DirecTV brand of DVR, even temporarily, if I don't have to.

Anyone have any more information on this? I'd call them, but I just know that if I call that number, I'll just get some customer service rep in India who's going to spout a script. I don't want a script, I want technical answers. Anyone?