TiVo is an amazing product. Buy one and you will never think of television in the same way. I have not watched a commercial on television since January -- the TiVo Fast-Forward speed is 60x viewing speed, so a four-minute long commercial break takes four seconds to skip over. I have not watched television since January -- I watch TiVo. I don't even care what is on TV anymore -- I always have 30 hours of programming that I like right at my fingertips -- sort of like an empeg for TV.

I have heard rumors that TiVo is coming out with new hardware with dual tuners that can record two programs simultaneously rather than just one. That would be enough of an improvement I would buy it without a second thought. Can anybody elaborate on this?

At first I thought I wanted more capacity... but I realize that even with "only" 30 hours of recording time, the TiVo records more programming than I can possibly find time to watch. I think they made a good choice in terms of cost/benefit with the 30 GB hard drive in the standard unit.

There is a bug in the TiVo hardware that I hope someone has a workaround for... I feed the output from my TiVo and my VCR through a combiner into my TV set, using the RF co-ax cables (it's an old TV and doesn't have the newer type inputs) There appears to be no way of stopping the TiVo from sending a signal through it's RF output, so if I want to play a videotape, I have to physically unplug the output cable from the back of the TiVo, otherwise it clashes with the VCR output. Even turning the TiVo "Off" doesn't do it (the TiVo is still powered when in the "Off" mode so it can record programs.)

Any ideas?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"