Originally Posted By: Mojo
I'm pretty sure if you use a "personal" paypal account (instead of a "business" account), you won't be charged any transaction fees.

That's true, but I suspect the number of people with Paypal accounts is the minority.

All in all, I've worked out that it'll cost us about $260 to collect using Paypal. I think it might just be the easiest way and we'll have to deal with the fees.

Originally Posted By: g_attrill
If it's defined as a personal payment there is an option for the sender to collect the fees - last time I made a payment it was quite obvious.

The question I have is: why is this an option? Shouldn't it be an option for the recipient? So now the sender say "hmm, you know what? I'd like to pay more." That seems odd to me. We could have a little text saying "you have to select the option to pay the fees," but only half the people are going to see that.

Is there something about this mechanism that I'm not understanding? Paypal probably has the worst help section of any service I've used. It took me about 10 minutes to actually find out what their damn fees are! It seems practically illegal to hide that kind of information like that.