Originally Posted By: mlord
Wow.. there are just so many firmware bugs, that I've now created a web page just to help track them. And since there is no other third-party info available on these products, it may as well be a review page.

My Welec W2022A Review is now up.

A lot has happened with these scopes of late. Last summer, the (horrible) source code for the firmware was released, and over this past winter/spring some German chaps have been fussing away at it.

The current "beta" release of fixes/enhancements, based on the original factory firmware, is actually rather good. I've installed it on my own scope here, and most of the old bugs vanished, while some new features (re)appeared.

The FFT functionality has returned with a vengence, though it's still not useful beyond really low frequencies, and the scope is definitely a lot better behaved now.

The best thing with the new firmware though, is they've figured out how to reduce the inherent noise in the measurements, to perhaps half of what it used to be. This is good.

Related to that last point -- another person has been poking at the FPGA code, and determined that *all* of the visible noise is just the result of some firmware bugs. He's recoded some of the VHDL and posted youtube videos (search for welec) showing the difference. Quite astounding results, though it could be a long time before changes like that make it back in the new firmware releases.

Attachments
a.jpg

Description: from one of the youtube videos..