sn00p: Thanks for both of the replies. You've confirmed my concerns

Quote:
- I don't know any of the industry best-practices and methods for development which a hired/contract coder may expect to be in place.

I've seen developers on this BBS mentioning coding methodologies they use. "Sprints", iterating customer demands for clarification, Q&A testing (Tony mentioned the MS process once and it blew my mind), etc. I created an application for a small business so I've been through some of these steps, but I'm assuming there's an industry standard set of steps for managing the development process. A freelance or hired developer may expect to work within that process and I don't know it. Learning it would save me from reinventing the wheel.

Quote:
Sit down and write a specification. Describe what is to be accomplished by the software, and how the UI is to function/look.

Now that, I can do, and do very well. With a team of only two or three people, there will be a lot less tree swings.

Matt: Android first, on principle and on business practicality. The Android version would clarify demand for the app, fund the iPhone version, and help resolve first gen issues. And it can continue to gain traction and generate demand while it waits in the Apple App Store approval queue. Heck, maybe even write a web based HTML5 version while waiting for Apple to approve it. Seems like the best way to do business these days.

Tony: A clever compliment? Thanks. Or do you actually need plastics manufacturing and marketing help? I know just the guy. smile

Thanks for your input.