Originally Posted By: FireFox31
Thanks, I didn't know development shops would create apps designed by a client. That may be the way to go. It has some of the same downsides (they're the only ones who can maintain the code) and some new ones (my work will be fit in among their other clients).

There are many companies offering complete iPhone (and I suppose Android) project development. Basically one-stop shops that will even handle non-code assets such as icons/graphics, sound fx, and even potentially marketing.

Any such hire/contract should leave you with a complete project which is well written and well documented, easily picked up by a future contractor/employee. I know that at least the ones I looked into a couple of years ago even had maintenance contracts. Obviously you won't be maintaining the code yourself, but I should hope you are paying for a deliverable you can easily re-deploy into the hands of someone else who can should the need arise.

Anyway, even a couple of years ago some of these places had very well written descriptions of what they do, including mock timelines. So you should take a look and see if you find something/someone you like and feel will fit within your budget and requirements. A lot of iPhone software is written this way.